Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's All Good

I've done it. I have effectively remade my life on the other side of the world. I wake up every day and go to bed every night feeling successful and fulfilled. Of course this is because I have managed to create a lifestyle that features working hard and playing hard; making a difference as well as having fun (which isn't necessarily mutually exclusive). I LOVE my job at the Vietnam Australia School where I teach first graders. They are fairly well-behaved and have lots of energy. They are quick to give hugs and yell my name, when they can finally get it right and remember it. The sounds in my name such as the hard ‘t’ are difficult for beginners. My co-teachers are young and dedicated and enjoy their jobs too. It's a good place to be and I have already spoken to the woman in charge of hiring about possibly having a full-time position at the school.

Other than loving my job, I have found some extra activities to aid in my happiness. After not singing for a whole month I decided to search for a place to sing. After spotting an ad in a magazine for ex-pats, I was in email contact with a Californian named Brian who runs the Ho Chi Minh City International Choir. On Monday I had a short audition and Brian was very happy to find a Soprano leader as he felt he needed one. He also asked if I would sing a Puccini mass with the Ho Chi Minh City Symphony Orchestra in a couple of weeks. Now I sing Monday and Wednesday nights (with a trip to Sherridan's Pub after rehearsals in order to make new friends) and Saturday afternoons. I'm really enjoying singing again, since I felt that was missing in my life.

There is also a touch rugby league that meets on Saturday afternoons. I will begin playing with them in a couple of weeks, when the Saturday singing rehearsals end after the concert. I'm excited about that as well. Don't worry Mom, they don't tackle and I'll be very careful. :) DiDi is also teaching me to drive a motorbike. So far we only practice late at night when there's no one else on the road. Don't worry about this either; I have a sick helmet.

In other news, Andy has decided to graduate from Northeastern a full year early. This is the best news I've heard all week. I'm also looking forward to some mail soon. ;)

Today I went and got some fabric and then went to a friend's tailor in order to get a dress and two skirts made. These are for work, of course. Since I work every day, I have to dress up every day. I appreciate my mesh shorts a lot more than before, when I could wear them every day. It's also getting really hot here, but the heat of the dry season will peak in April. Yesterday morning it was so hot that we had a brown out and lost power for a few hours. It hasn't rained since I arrived in the country a little over a month ago. But after May it will pour every day and I'll get to wear my awesome froggie boots! :)

That's all that's new for now! I know you guys have been waiting for new photos too. I aim to please...















I guess that's it! I'll keep the camera in my bag and the smile on my face. But you know what could help with the smile? Some snail mail. I have confirmed that I do indeed receive mail here at 79/8 Nguyen Huu Cau/Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam. Hope all is well stateside...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey you!
I think thats so cool that you are able to just go to a different country and start your life over. thats pretty sweet! well it sounds like you are enjoying yourself, and I hope that keeps up! I loved hearing about the cute little 1st graders, post some pics of them! :) missing you...

Anonymous said...

Hi Catie! It is wonderful that you can go over there and fit right in.If they make CD's or tapes of the Choir, send me one and I will reimburse you. I would love to hear the choir. Be careful, stay safe, and Happy Valentines Day!
Love you Lots,
Grandpa Seadale