Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Bangin' Karaoke



Last night I went to dinner down the road and got bun tra with Bryan and Jackie. It's beef in this clear broth and you add rice noodles to it. I didn't like it because it had that sickly sweet smell that I can't stand. Then Bryan and I rode our bikes to Le Pub at about 10:00 and it was $1 tequila shot night. Whooo (not the sarcasm). We then left at about 11:00 and rode to Finnegan's, where we had coffees, realized our dorm's gate was going to close at midnight, and then hastily pedaled back. When I got back I discovered to my dismay that my roomie had engaged the dead bolt on our door. I pounded on the door and she didn't wake up, which was odd. I went down to the second floor to find someone with a cell phone to call her, but instead ended up talking to Bryan and Tony for a bit. By 12:45 I went upstairs to again attempt to wake up Jill and she finally did wake up. I grabbed my laptop and went back down to Tony and Bryan's room to check my email. The dean had done a speedy email job and had already replied to my email about taking five classes. Of course, she cleared me for taking an extra class. How are they supposed to tell kids who are excited about classes that they can't take more of them? After checking my email I headed back to my room, read in bed for a bit, and was fast asleep by 1:30 am.

I woke up this morning at 8:20 and checked my email, got dressed, packed my backpack, and grabbed an egg sandwich to go with my mini oranges. I ate them as I walked to class and did my homework when I got there. We had a predictable class and then left at 11:00. I came back to the dorm and checked my email again before going down the road to get some banh xeo (crunchy egg pieces with shrimp and beef inside and you roll it up with greens in rice paper) with Sarah, Meggie, and Brittany. We had to keep ordering more because we weren't sure how much they were giving us and we were really hungry. We paid, left, and walked half a block back to the dorm at 12:55, where I repacked my backpack and headed over to photo class.

Photo class was all right. The professor showed us some short news clips in order to keep us updated and then he handed back some prints of our own pictures. He liked a bunch of my pictures and then gave me all of the prints after we had all looked at the professor's favorites. He then collected our journals and read them while we were forced to watch the movie "Pecker." It's about this yonug guy who wants to be a photographer and it ruins his family's life, etc. It was awful- tasteless, raunchy, corny, and the unfortunate presence of many horrible cliches like "You just have to open to your eyes. Then you'll be free." If the professor hadn't been sitting at the next table then I would've slept through it. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when the movie ended at 3:45 and I went back to my dorm. I made plans with Sarah and Brittany to go to dinner and the circus tonight and then watched some South Park episodes on my computer.

I met Sarah on the second floor of the dorm and we took a xe om to Le Pub for dinner. We met Cathy, Monica, Jackie, Monica, Tica, and Brittany there and I had a Coke and a decent chicken sandwich. We talked, ate, paid, and then left in taxis at 7:15 pm. We were dropped off at the circus and discovered that the Lonely Planet book was incorrect and the circus is not open on Tuesdays. By then, Tony and Dale had arrived and then they decided to go with Tica to Finnegan's. The rest of us looked across the street and found an "I Sing Karaoke" place. Leah, Monica, Sarah, Jackie, Brittany, and I entered our own room, picked songs, ordered drinks, and had so much fun. We sang everything from "Living on a Prayer" to "Walking on Broken Glass" to selections from "The Sound of Music." We paid and left at 9:30 and walked across the street to find a taxi. I was back at the dorm by 10:00 and have been sitting in this hallway in our dorm ever since.

I'm going back to my room to read and go to bed. Hope all is well back in the states! I miss you guys like crazy...

1 comment:

Katrina Frances said...

you sang the sound of music? hahaha