Monday, November 26, 2007

Da Lat: Day 1





Saturday morning I got up at 6:30 am, packed, and then we all got on a big bus to the airport. The bus left by 8:00 and even the beggar girls I know waved to me as we left. I listened to music and then prayed to Saint Anthony because Cathy temporarily lost her passport. She eventually unpacked her bags and located it which was great. We arrived at the airport, said a sad goodbye to Long, and checked all of our bags. Professor Benjamin said that the overweight baggage ordeal (we had almost an extra 1,000 pounds between us all) was solved with a "blank white envelope" filled with cash.

We all made it through security and I got some fried rice and a Pepsi while we sat in the airport. Our flight was supposed to leave at 11:00 am but got delayed once for the late arrival of the last flight and then once again for a wheel change. By the time we boarded the plane and took off, it was noon. I was seated in the aisle seat in a row with Meggie and Irish, who both conked out as soon as we took off. I read my book, listened to my new music, and ate the salami sandwich, crackers, and water that was provided by the airlines.

Our flight landed in Da Lat Airport at 2:00 pm and I found my baggage, put it onto a cart, and got to our group's bus. I stowed my orange bag under the bus and kept my blue one with me when I sat with Monica. I instantly fell asleep and we arrived at the A Dong Hotel in Da Lat City by 3:00. Jill, DiDi, and I moved into room 005 and we dropped off our stuff (except for Jill because she wasn't feeling well at all) and got back on the bus to grab a very late lunch. We ate "special pho bo" (the Vietnamese soup with noodles and beef) about ten minutes away from the hotel, walked through the market, and then headed back to the hotel before going back out with Bryan, DiDi, and Monica.

We headed out and walked around to find some fruit and to explore the center of town. After walking around for an hour and change, we went back to the hotel and hung out in the room before meeting everyone in the lobby for dinner at 7:30 pm.

We all walked back to the center of town and ate at this restaurant. We were seated in the middle of the place at this big, long table and ate rice, sweet and sour chicken, venison, and some vegetables before they brought us some fried bananas for dessert.

After dinner ended at 9:15 pm, I left with DiDi and went down the street to get some fetal ducks in their eggs. The one I ate was a bit young (and therefore not as crunchy) but it still tasted really good. Dale, Oliver, and Tony met us there by chance and then pissed off DiDi somehow and I walked back to the hotel alone at 10:00pm.

Once back at my room I changed into my pajamas, got my laptop, and headed for the front steps of the hotel in order to find my party people. I caught sight of a church directly across the street, however, and sprinted there only to find that there was no sign with the hours of their services. A young Vietnamese guy came out just then to lock the gate and I asked about services, which are held at 8:00 am on Sundays. I then found Sarah and we headed to her room to watch three episodes of the tv show "Friends" with Bryan, Monica, and Brittany. We got tired around midnight and I went back to my room to sleep.

No comments: