Sunday, September 2, 2007

And Some More

So I don't think I've ever been this homesick in my life. I just want some American food and some clean air. Nothing reminds me of the US at all. I had a freakin' chocolate chip muffin for dinner today and that didn't even taste like the US. Electrical wires hang down by your head all over the street. If you can cross the street without being hit by crazy moped drivers (they're called xc om...pronounced "say-om") then you're good. Crossing the street still remains a huge, frightening task. Unfortunately, you have to cross huge, busy streets all the time.

I also saw FOUR men with AK-47's. What does that mean for my peace studies over here? Are they just there to threaten people? Pickpocketing is rampant in Vietnam, but there's almost no violent crime here. America is filled with violent crime. I guess America just gives the illusion of being safer. People don't stand around with machine guns. I feel very safe here, though.

People here assume we're the Americans they see in movies. Beggars, especially children, follow us for blocks because they assume we're filthy rich. And compared to them, we are. Our cameras cost roughly what they get paid for a year's work. The Vietnamese also stare at us wherever we go. They point and sometimes laugh and talk about us with the nearest person. That's getting old already, especially since we don't know what they're saying yet. I did learn how to say a formal hello and thank you, though. I've been practicing all of today.

Walking to lunch as a group, we also saw two moped drivers collide. It was scary and they just lay there under their bikes for a second. Then one of the men got up and ventured over to help the other one to his feet. They were both fine, but the accident happened right in front of us and it was kind of scary.

Here's a good thing about Vietnam: our bathroom in our hostel room IS the shower as well. The shower spigot is on the wall in front of the toilet and you just close the bathroom door and shower right there. In the middle of the tiny bathroom. It's extremely odd. I'll take pictures of my room and of our hostel and post them tomorrow. I would do it now but it's dark (as it's 8:54 PM) and, as usual, raining like Noah should build an ark.

That's all for now. Keep on prayin' and leaving comments.!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, I definately felt that same homesick feeling when I went to Bolivia and everything including the language and food was different. After a few days, once you start learning the language, I'm sure it will be much better! The first 3 or 4 days were the hardest for me... but of course I know you are getting a whole different experience over there in Vietnam. Well, enjoy the amazing experiences and take lots of photos!! miss you.

Anonymous said...

P.S. watch out for your digital!

Andy said...

moped accident...HOOHAH!

Arellano, or Dunlop said...

I had this great comment then google erased it because it said I had to sign in. Oh well. I would love to see photos of vietnamese fruits, and approximate names, if you can get them. Also taste reviews.
Thanks,
Ana