Friday, September 28, 2007

Shopping: Caitlin Style






After leaving the internet cafe last night, I went back to my room and showered. A bunch of us went to Kem My (American ice cream) and I got mint chocolate chip in a cone. It was glorious. I went to bed at about 10:30 pm.

I woke up this morning at 7:00 and went to go get my egg sandwich and enjoy it with my iced coffee ladies. I explained to them that I didn't have to go study today and they were confused. I then spent from about 7:30-9 am in the internet cafe and talked to Bridget and James online as well as writing my weekly journal for my Peace Studies internship. I went back to the room at 9 and Bryan, Jill and I watched the movie "Superbad" on my bed. I promptly fell asleep in the fetal position and woke up to Bryan poking my nose at 1:30. I got up and found the rest of the group about to go shopping. Meggie, Leah, Jackie, Jill, and I (since I was bored out of my mind) set out at 2:00 for the ATM and for walking around clothing shops. Of course, I brought my camera and sat outside each store as the rest of the girls shopped. I befriended the people sitting outside the stores and took pictures of the social landscape, as that is our next photography assignment. They usually offered me a small stool when they saw me start to squat by the side of the road.

By 5:00, our group stopped at this amazing Italian restaurant for a short dinner. I had this amazing pizza and missed my Italian family back in the states. At 5:30, Jill, Jackie and I left and continued to walk. They stopped into yet another clothes shop and I decided to go right across the road and take pictures of the lake and the people loitering about the lake. I took a few pictures before a 50-something Vietnamese man looked at me, walked by, and doubled back. He sat down next to me and started naming prices for me. Only 200,000 dong? Really? Geez. I told him that I'm a student and that he should go away. He finally did and was replaced by a guy my age who wanted to practice speaking English with me. After about 20 minutes, I set out to the nearby mall with Jackie and Jill. We walked around for a while and they bought girly clothes as usual. We left and caught a taxi back to the dorm at 7:00. Back at the dorm, I saw DiDi and we made plans to go out tonight and then cuddle.

Time to go back to the room and shower and get ready. I'd better not wear my "sexy football jersey" out tonight, as it seems to attract attention when coupled with my mesh shorts. Go figure...

2 comments:

Pragmatic Mystic said...

Thanks for reminding me about your blog! It is fun to catch up on your doings in Vietnam. I am so impressed with your being able to communicate in Vietnamese already. And I love seeing the photos!

Katrina Frances said...

woohoooooo mesh shorts!
you should have gotten some more of those when your friends were shopping for "girly clothes"!! haha
love and miss you!