Sunday, September 2, 2007

Ho Chi Minh!

I've arrived safely in Vietnam, more specifically Ho Chi Minh City (also known as Saigon). They let me into the country and I found my bags. Then I exchanged $40 for alot of Vietnamese money. It's roughly 16,000 dong to the dollar, and an average meal runs for about 12,000 dong. Good deal.. I'm staying in a hostel with the group, and rooming with my friend Jill who is on the hockey team with me. I'm currently sitting in the lobby of our hostel, where we get slow wireless internet. We will be given an orientation tomorrow, and then our Vietnamese language classes start on Monday and are M-F, 8AM-12PM. In fact, my computer has already translatedmost of my blog page to Vietnamese for me. The toolbar and sign-in are in Vietnamese. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday to find out what some of it means.

All I've seen of the city so far has been through the misty bus windows as we were transported from the airport. It's been thundering and lightening and pouring down rain. The taxis (in the form of mopeds) were holding umbrellas as well as driving passengers. They were dangerously close to our bus and I won't be riding with them.

I'll get pictures tomorrow as we go on our walking tour. Miss you all!

No comments: